Would you invest in your labor?
To really understand the value of one person who believes in something, you must understand the potential results from one human’s actions. To say that this “beauty’ is in the “eye of the beholder” would be a misstatement, because beauty and value are there inherently independent of anyone’s awareness of that value.
And yet, value unperceived is often undervalued, and never capitalized upon.
I believe that every person is a perfect somebody; in other words, everybody could be very good and happy doing something, if it fits them.
I believe that managing ourselves, our “human capital” is of foremost concern, because we manage everything else.
I believe that a job description should be designed to fully utilize human assets; the job should fit the human, and never the other way around.
I believe that when you do what you love for a living; the thing that your very soul cries out to do, the thing that you are made for, you excel.
I believe that every person, from the janitor to the spiritual leader, has value and something to offer to and something to teach the rest of us, even if it is only a uniquely humble attitude that inspires a loving and giving response.
I believe that we are indeed brothers and sisters, joined at the hip physically, emotionally, spiritually – one family, which must function and go forward as a family, a unit, to progress.
In short, in believe in human capital, and I believe that we do a woefully bad job of managing it.
Lets examine, for instance, the standard 9-5 “day job” which is fading away in the modern world:
7:am – Wake Up
9:AM – work after 30 minute commute
11:00 AM 15 minute coffee break stops all work
1:00 PM Lunch 30 minutes
1:30 Back to work
3:30 Another coffee break
5:30 Another commute
6:00 Family time, rest, do it again.
Does anybody really believe that this is living?
As someone who has done this, and worse, for over 30 years; and as a self employed businessman now, I can tell you that there is a better way.
Allow me, if you will , to propose an alternative that is more human friendly:
A stable family with a lawn and two cars in the driveway is no longer the history of most of us. I was a pioneer in being a “latch key’ child of a single mom – but that background is now the new norm.
In my 60 years alive on this earth, looking back, the happiness times most definitely were not when I was the richest, or poorest. The very happiest time was when I worked a great deal doing something that was not too bad for a living, auto sales three blocks away, and my kids, stay at home mom, and myself lived in what was, at the time, the first luxury apartment community in Eugene, Oregon: the “Boulders on the River.”
My schedule was not 9-5, so that I had random times off, mostly when the 9-5ers were working. The facilities at the apartments provided me and the wife kids with everything we needed, including neighbors as friends, to live a good life every minute that we were not working or in school – pools, games, workout facilities, social life, parties…
I did not hate my job, did not spend my life commuting, and I really enjoyed my healthy time off.
Somewhere there is a sane alternative to the way that we live, and we must find it.
Imagine this lifestyle:
- You live in a sustainable community – it was an empty building in a small town, untill you and your community members moved in, remodeled, and made it into a home.
- Your job is to tend to the aquaponic garden, or to cook breakfast, or to mow the yard today, or to fix the roof, or to operate your business as an independent professional, or to provide services of any kind to the other community members.
- You have friends, families, and children all around you, and you love them and participate in their lives and their upbringing.
- Your community has workout facilities, a game room, a business center and conference rooms, a pool, sauna, whirlpool, party room..
- Your spouse and you have your own apartment, and you are also part of the community.
- You do not have to worry about shelter, food, or company, because your services to the rest of the community pay for these.
- Your kids have friends, supervision, and plenty of good healthy safe activities to keep them busy when you are away, and they are learning to interface with other people of all ages.
Lets face it: we can never go back to the “Ozzie and Harriett” days, and those days really never existed anywhere but on TV and in the movies anyway.
May we please move forward with this new model? I have an income and early retirement coming up, will be a grandfather soon. I still like to party, swim, workout, listen to music, be social…I love kids and two beautiful ones of my own to prove that I am good dad. Lets some of us just take over some of this empty real estate in this paradise, or yours, shall we? Lets invest in ourselves, (our human capital) pool our resources and live well with almost no money at all? Any takers?! 805-827-2450 I have an unlimited number of work-from-home jobs that can be located anywhere where there is Internet for bloggers, salespeople, customer service, phones, technical…cooks dishwashers gardeners…what is your human capital?