There is nothing wrong with the concept that every child should have an equal chance – it is the American way. I was underprivileged as an orphan; I lived in foster homes and group homes, went through the system, survived, excelled, became an emancipated minor at 17. I survived in spite of the system, and not because of it. So: I say these things first hand: Whenever there is a budget that big, an unstoppable mandate for funding, and politics: these all add up to a formula for corruption. (thanks to http://americasnextimpactsite.com/2011/08/04/higheredreform/ for this image.)
Accountability is absent, as indicated by the widespread fraud on the tests that have finally been mandated to measure teachers and schools.
The goal all along: to level the playing field of underprivileged children, a noble plan, but lets evaluate the results:
- Rampant corruption
- Over-powerful unions
- Public schools are terrible compared to their private counterparts; we have widened the gap not narrowed it.
- Private schools, with their high price tags, are still the best
Our democratic socialist republic is in trouble: we need to re-evaluate our results:
- Public education is not efficient
- Public education is not as good
- Public education is more expensive
- Public education is funded by political football; very unhealthy
My groundbreaking idea? End public education as we know it: put it out for bids; put the schools up for sale top the highest qualified bidder; and put the Government in the governing role. Your thoughts? lets be realistic:
- the material is outdated,
- inundated with political propaganda,
- not that good, really?!
- If not for an 18 month scholarship to a private school (the Midland school in Los Olivos, CA – still exists I believe.) where I received a college English education in the 9th grade, I would not have the education that I have acquired:
- I have managed to become very educated without a formal college education
- This is more common than you know these days.
The over-educated, under-challenged elite could complain about my lack of attention to convention; my lack of loyalty to coloring between the lines; the fact that they did not get a chance to put me on sedatives before I could get this far; the fact that they cannot control me! OH DARN! Your thoughts?
Shameless plug, the best education available about social media is up-to-date, and it is free:
Rothman Guide to Guerrilla Marketing with Social Media